Thursday, September 20, 2007

Landscaping...what to do???

Ok here are some pictures of the awful landscaping job that was done on my house to bypass the mortgage company. They have left us with a big ol mess to fix up. I need suggestions. I am in the process of researching websites, reading magazines and books and looking at other people landscapes. We have a few ideas but they are mainly for our backyard which has to wait till spring. We probably will only be able to prep our yard this fall with the majority of the work happening in the spring. But I thought I might get some insight now. Thanks!

This is one front bed.

This is the other front bed. We want to put some kind of hardscape around it.

Boring old mailbox.

This is on the opposite side of our driveway and therefor doesn't get much sun. We thought about putting pavers here because I am not sure I want any type of bed here like they planted.

Our huge, starting to get some grass backyard. This will be fenced in next spring.

Wes will be building a deck in this space.

This is one side of our yard. We are not sure why they didn't sod the side yards because grass seed is not growing there. So we are looking into sodding it. Should I put any kind of beds on this side?
I guess that's about it. Like I said I am reading up on anything I can get my hands on about this. Oh yeah and FYI all the existing plants are being ripped up and this mulch is going bye bye. We are starting afresh and any good plant suggestions would be appreciated as well. Any input ya'll have would be nice to hear. Happy Thursday!

'

2 comments:

Colleen said...

We love azaleas, the bloom again ones are nice, they bloom in spring and fall. We also have Lantana, which is gorgeous. We have the pink kind with yellow centers. Both of those will live through the winter although the lantana you'll want to cut back. We have a climbing jasmine, too, which is nice for going up stuff (like your mailbox) and clematis is good for that too. Neither of those look super in the winter though, just something to keep in mind. We have hostas all over the place, too, they say they're a shade plant but they grow great in sun. Very little water. Verbena is gorgeous, too, but it's hit or miss if it's going to come back next year. About half of ours did. And flox are gorgeous, too. And they make it through the winter although they only flower in the spring. I think that's it, we have dogwoods, magnolias and leiland cypress trees, too, and they've all done really well. If you buy them when they're little for cheap, they'll be big in 3 years or so. Hope that helps...

Monica said...

I have an area just like yours in front of the house & I was planning on tearing mine up & putting in a fish pond.