Sunday, March 23, 2008

Feeling a little disheartened....Family Issues

So today I went to Jasper with my parents for decoration and Easter dinner with my family. (Wes had to work tonight so he stayed home to sleep). It was a kind of mixed feelings day. Here is the scoop....sorry in advanced for the longness.
Okay so back in November I found out that my sixteen (well he just turned 17 in Dec) year old cousin Will had gotten his girlfriend pregnant. It was a big drama filled episode. (Short side of things his mama is a crazy lunatic). It has really tore up my Aunt Betty who is Will's grandma. Anyway long story short, Will wanted to get married now...but both of them still have a year of high school left, and pretty much all BUT his mom were objecting that. Yeah think no jobs, no education, um no money....so now they are waiting to get married after they graduate (that is if they make it). Well today they were talking about a baby shower...she is due May 30...and the idea of having one major shower...with all families involved was brought up. You know what my cousin said? No we don't want one big shower...we want separate showers so we can get more stuff! I seriously was just stunned. To top this off he brought the girlfriend around and introduced her to everyone and when he said This is so and so and we'd say hi nice to meet you she'd just look at us and not say a word. Nice huh? And finally to top things off completely I found out today that Will's mom was mad at the family because at Christmas we weren't all excited for her about being a new grandma and we didn't make a big deal out of it....well maybe we are wrong but I'm sorry but your sixteen year old son getting a girl pregnant is not something to be praised for in my opinion.
Okay drama part two. Some of you might have heard me talking about my cousin Ashley when growing up. I think Lauren has met her. Well Ashley is my Aunt Betty (yes the same Aunt Betty)'s granddaughter. She is 18 and a senior in high school. Well she got engaged a few days before Christmas to her boyfriend Curt who is 22. I know that doesn't sound so bad but here is the deal. She is getting married next December. So that means no college after high school. (She has been doing some duel enrollment at a local community college down there but I am not sure if she is finishing it) Curt has no college. Heck he just recently got a job but I'm not sure how great it is. He is her first ever real boyfriend. They have that kind of romance where they follow each other around all the time and you never see one with out the other. Example...if she goes to the bathroom he follows her and stands outside the door. In my opinion not very realistic.
His dad bought her engagement ring, not him. And it's pretty big. At Christmas she made the comment out of my earshot but not out of the earshot of my dad that her ring was a lot bigger than mine. My dad being my dad said Well if Wes' father had bought Candi's ring then I'm sure she would have had a massive one. Lol I had to thank my dad for that one.
Okay now you know the background of the story. Now I have always been really close to my cousin Dina who is Ashley's mom. So today I was asking about wedding plans how they were going etc. Well I kept getting the cold shoulder on it. Dina was acting like she didn't want to talk about it. I tried a few times and then finally gave up and went outside to talk to some other family. Later on I came in and overheard her talking about it to others. I don't know why this hurt my feelings but it did. I just felt kinda put off.
Also yet another cousin (sorry I have a big family) who is also graduating this year got accepted into Brigham Young and she was super excited about it. So yeah she was talking about it today. I was really disappointed in how Ashley acted towards her about it. When Stefanie announced her news Ashley just snorted, and walked out with Curt in tow. No congratulations or anything. She was raised better than that. It's like since she has been with Curt she has gotten so well snotty. It was Ashley's decision to get married out of high school, no one is forcing her. She could have easily went to college. She chose this. So don't begrudge your own family their achievement.
Okay if you have made it through this thank you. I'm sorry it was so long! I just had to get that off my chest. It was just kinda a disappointed feeling day. I hope all of you had a happy Easter!
PS.....Congrats to Colleen, John, and Mr. Dash Dixon....he was Mr. May for the Decatur Daily's Easter Babies on Parade :) Also later this week and incredibly funny story about Macy :)

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Hey girlie, sorry about the family drama. You and your cousin going to Brigham Young have a lot more going on in the cool department than the other two.

And thanks for the congrats on Mr. May, we've been calling him that the past few days :)